Andy Murray /* */

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Attitude is everything!

Why it pays big dividends to make allowances for the foibles
of other people.

I have a short fuse. I am one of those people who growl
the moment that something is not right but equally I forget
about it very quickly.

Many times in my business I have snapped and snarled at
people, often with good reason, sometimes without. By and
large my outbursts have been overlooked and we have all
carried on.

Occasionally somebody close to me has taken exception, and
decided to end our relationship.

Just yesterday a friend wrote me what I felt was a really
quite unreasonable email that made me want to get in the
car and go and see him face to face for a “bit of a chat”.

Instead I wrote a reply immediately (but didn’t send it)
reviewed it a few hours later once I was calm and toned
it right down then sent it.

My chum replied pretty much straight back with a “sorry
mate, having a bad day, didn’t mean it how it came out”
type of reply and now its all behind us and we will continue
to be good friends as well as making money by doing
business with each other.

Conversely I have noticed that those people who cannot do
this and would have to end the relationship tend to be
failures.

They have a string of relationships, both personal and
business that could have been great but that they have
ended with the consequence that they are normally lonely
and generally either struggling in some grotty job or with
a business that never really prospers.

A worthwhile by-product of this “forgive and forget” approach
is that you will probably live a lot longer as well. I know
many people who suffer from things as mundane as high
blood pressure through to extreme mental illness as a direct
result of getting all gnarled up and stressed out constantly.




© 2004 - 2007 Everything Interesting, Co. U.K. - All Rights Reserved.